Ive been reading up on natural dyeing recently and instead of just chancing it I really wanted to experiment with some tried and tested ideas so I can start to find out what works for me and what things I like.
Its all in the preperation Im discovering, so with that in mind I prepared some fabric (silk, cotton, muslin & jersey) and some yarn (Icelandic wool, cotton yarn) half in Alum & half in Iron.
Then I boiled up the plants I wanted to try for an hour each, once cooled I put the plants and liquid in jars and added bits of each differently mordented fabric & yarn sample. I left the jars for just under 36 hours.
The results are just fab! some have turned out just as the book says so I must have done something right! some are fainted than I expected but I really like them like that. The Iron mordented fabrics are defiantly shades that really appeal to me, as the books say the Iron darkens and dulls the shades! I like!
I plan to continue with a few more simple plants and veg next week just to get a bit more experience and to see what my garden and woodlands can produce!
This time I used nettles,onions, Ivy, cabbage and eucalyptus and plan to try Walnuts, avocado, Tea, brambles & Madder this week.
After visiting Highgate cemetry a while back I said I wanted to change my palette to grey's and greens for a bit and some of the shades Ive achieved are just what I was seeing so I need to try to make some new work based around these colors now!!! to see more pics of the other dye jars and there results have a look at my flickr set
Tomorrow morning I shall draw a name out of a hat for my give away, Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments! your answers are all really interesting, Im pleased to hear most of us just cant help creating!