3 May 2010

Hooped Ladies & muchos thanks x

Firstly thanks you so much for all your kind, supportive and encouraging comment to the last post!
I really appreciate it and it has helped me to place some of the uneasy feelings I was having about writing tutorials. I love this wonderful Blogging community ! xx

As promised I wanted to share some of this things Ive been working on all last week.
Continuing with the hooped ladies with owls I wanted to return to my old interest of using old photographs as the starting point for a piece. I had a few gems for a recent carboot sale which were perfect subject for what I wanted to try.
I loved their poses and expressions, also the black dresses is a look I wanted to try as a hooped lady!
Im really pleased with their stern, formal looks! and I love the lace details ( Ive been holding that bit of old nighty for ages ready for a project just like this!!)
I think Ive worked through my 'hooped lady with owl' obsession for this week! I am feeling the need for a bit more texture going on and some slow stitching. I really want to start a patchwork quilt (just for me and our bed because we need one in the winter) so I  am thinking I will combine that desire along with all the new dyed samples I have been making and try a few samplers ideas, trying out some patchwork, layering, slow stiches and machine embroidery.....well thats what Im thinking...not sure what will appear.

Its been a bank holiday in the UK today and we had a very succesful day at a carboot sale, selling ( & trying not to buy to much!) we made a huge amount of money for us, selling stuff that would otherwise have just gone to the charity shop. the princely sum of £70 is going to start our new tent fund! ready for some outdoor fun in the summer.....I picked up some lovely bits of printed stuff, a great music score from the 1940s, 1001 patchwork patterns! and an amazing book entitled "Enquire within upon everything" printed in 1870!!! I shall scan some very soon its fab.

Hope your weeks have all started well
xx jenny

7 comments

  1. Hello - your magazine article is lovely - thankyou for sharing your ideas - I think it is a really good thing to do. I found Enquire Within at a Car boot too - it is a fascinating book - from the cover to the contents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enquire within about everything? Early adopter Western buddhists?

    I'm all agog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how funny we have found and picked up the same book!!! I imagine it must have been a housewife's must have in 1870!I love that every page has a short line at the top, such as " use a book as a bee does a flower" & "excess calls in the doctor" !! love it I think I will use some of these phrases in my new textile works!!!!
    oh just found another great one " A duel is folly playing at murder"! wow -My new bible! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to see how you take a photo and make it into a work of art! I am pleased to say I received your giveaway piece today and I am thrilled! It will hang in a place of honor in my studio/bedroom. It has inspired a whole new design element and color scheme for my room! Thank you again! I love it! Jamie V in MT
    http://rem-nants.blogspot.com
    amzanioli@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, so glad it has arrived safely!!! really pleased you like it xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the hooped ladies with owls - and that you saved a bit of nightdress for just the right project - it is just so hard to throw anything away no matter how small incase it has some potential use in the future!

    Kath
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by xx